Dementia–Oh the Joys!!!

Sorry about the rant!!!  Now that I have that out…I can write about what I planned too to begin with! lol

Anyway…so my Mom has dementia, and boy has it been interesting, which I’m sure isn’t the write word but can’t think of anything else that applies at this time…

She’s slowly going downhill, and is to the point where she cannot be left alone.  For months now she didn’t want to be alone because being alone scared her…we’ve made sure someone is with her at all times…but now it’s gotten to the point where we can’t because she’s forgetting way too much at this time to do so…

If you ask my Dad, she’ll tell you she’s fine!  She forgets a few things, sure, but who doesn’t?  He told me for months everything was fine, that she was fine when I asked about her…and it was months after she was diagnosed and having issues that my brother tells me she has it…I have a feeling he’s telling her doctor she’s fine as well…denial isn’t just a river in Egypt!

While it’s sad she has this…while it bothers all of us that she does…there are some funny points to it!  Ok, so I have a warped sense of humor, but I’d rather laugh at this disease then let it get me down…

This morning, first thing when I got up and came out, she motioned me to her a bit urgently.  She then took me to the back bathroom, where last night the handle broke off the toilet.  She knew last night the toilet wasn’t working right…but not sure if she remembers that this morning.  Anyway, she just HAD to show me that it was gone, and when I told it that it was ok, we knew it was broke and will be fixing it soon, she said “Oh Thank God” and deflated from the stress immediately.  She told me that it scared her!  Not sure exactly how that could scare her, but it obviously did, and it needed to be taken care of.  It also showed me how much inability she has at this point to change…

Which is part of the other thing I wanted to share LOL  I had gotten her a pair of pj’s that were very soft and black and white and a pull over the head that I just knew would be comfortable!  She was having trouble with the button on her pj’s so figured this would work for her.   Well, she took it, said she really liked it, it went into her room and onto her dresser for months, tried on once and taken off because the legs were a bit short for winter time…it was more of a summer pj.  Anyway, during that time she came to me 4x trying to give me the pj’s, and me reminding her that I got it for her and her putting it back on the dresser.  It was sorta funny how she would do it, and how she would say that she thinks those pj’s are for me not her.  Anyway, about a week ago I finally gave in and the pj’s are mine. lol  She’s so used to her pj’s that this set really confuses her and it’s not worth the issues.

Oh, and Eggo’s aren’t even safe!!!  Last week, she took out the eggos, buttered them, and gave them to my father to eat.  Now, what step did I miss here? lol  She forgot to toast the eggo’s and gave my Dad frozen  and buttered eggos for breakfast!!! ROFLMAO!!!!  Ok, so I find that hilarious…she wasn’t so amused.  She of course got very upset and cried…

The week before the poor eggo was toasted but she put mayonnaise on it instead of butter, and when I asked her why she was putting mayo on it, she was sure it was butter!!!  I told her to read the front of the jar, and she broke down crying…My Dad of course got upset about it…I don’t think that he’s being mean on purpose, but that it scares him and upsets him when things like this happen.  And because he does, and because he gets loud and demands more out of her then she can do anymore because he’s just not understanding nor does he want too how bad she’s getting.  I helped her get out the butter and told her that if she reads the containers that it’ll help this not happen again.

She’s not getting the understanding of what is what anymore.  For the most part, when someone tells her to get items, her brain isn’t associating with what it is and she’s not able to do so…she gets very confused and very upset.  I’ve talked to my Dad about lessoning up what she does, such as bringing the bread to the table with what goes on it instead of her trying to do the sandwich herself…only getting the break and materials that are needed would give her a lot less confusion in the long run.  Same with eggos!!  Toast them and give them to Dad to finish off and I told this to my Dad.  Of course, he doesn’t think it’s needed, it was just a bad day…yet he has to realize she can’t make food and can’t do the laundry! 

Sigh…we’ll get them!

I plan on coming on and sharing how her dementia goes…it keeps coming to my mind that I need to write out what happens…not that it would help me, but maybe it’ll help someone else who may be dealing with it.  Dementia isn’t fun, it is an emotional roller-coaster…yet I  believe that we’re getting there!!!

~Angel Hugz~

Tracy

0 comments: